Homtini Mountain Bike Route
- Route: Most of the trail follows fairly easy contours in the indigenous forest and plantation. It is enhanced by winding single-track slip-paths, shady plantation and indigenous forest roads offering a regular bird’s eye view of the surrounding area. It is a moderate ride with the exception of a steep 4km climb. A quality ride not requiring advanced technical skills.
- Trail Type: Jeep tracks and logging roads, single track.
- Surface: Dirt tracks. Tree roots across track. Smooth to very rough gravel in places. Muddy after rain.
- Technical: Mostly non-technical with some feathered braking, gear shifting on the fly while descending, bumpy surfaces, negotiate moderate obstacles.
- Exertion: Moderate – high (4km climb).
- Distance: 19 km
- Route Duration: Approximately 1.5 – 2 hours.
- Difficulty: 6/10
- Difficulty: Moderate to hard.
Permit & Costs: Permits available from Thesen Island Office or the Goudveld Entrance gate.
Goudveld Forestry Station – 044 389 0129
Directions: From Knysna take the N2 towards George, about 8km out take the Rheenendal turnoff to the right. Follow this road for 12.6km and take the Bibby’s Hoek / Millwood Gold Fields turnoff to the right (becomes gravel just after the turn). You will reach a four way crossing with a boom, sign in and pay here. Sometime out of season this boom is open and unmanned. Follow this road to the Dalene Matthee Memorial at the Krisjan Se Nek picnic site, 4km. The route starts here.